Thursday 29 December 2011

The Ordinary World


In the book Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden, the protagonist is Ellie Linton. Ellie's ordinary world is her home. She was born and raised on a cattle and sheep farm not far from the edge of the country town of Wirrawee, Australia. She lives a simple life in the country and she loves it. There is no place in the world that she would rather be.

I chose this image because it shows what Ellie's ordinary world is like. A normal, small, rural town.

"But in spite of our isolation, our unglamourous life, I loved being a rural. Other kids couldn’t wait to get away to the city. It was like, the moment they finished school they’d be at the bus depot with their bags packed. They wanted crowds and noise and fast food stores and huge shopping centres. They wanted adrenaline pumping through their veins. I liked those things, in small doses, and I knew that in my life I’d like to spend good lengths of time in the city. But I always knew where I most liked to be and that was out here, even if I did spend half my life headfirst in a tractor engine, or pulling a lamb out of a barbed-wire fence, or getting kicked black and blue by a heifer when I got between her and her calf.” (Marsden 78)

No comments:

Post a Comment